Thursday, January 31, 2008

Once

A few weeks ago I was at Blockbuster (I'm one of the three people who still go there) in that fluorescent-lit daze where you're staring blankly at the titles and nothing looks good. My Vancouver soul sister, Lori, had recommended this little indie '06 film called "Once" so I half-heartedly grabbed it as a back-up (the cover looked just a little cheesy with the warm backlit couple...you know). It sat next to my TV for a week, but as I packed for LA I threw it in my carry-on to watch, if I had time, on the 5 hour flight.

So on the flight, after burning out on flipping through my 800 magazines, I watched it. OMG I laughed, cried, LOVED it. I got one of those headaches you get when you're trying hard not to cry since everyone else around me was sleeping, reading or putting spreadable fake cheese on crackers with those impossibly small plastic knives.... but it's not medical-condition sad, it's bittersweet life happy/sad with gorgeous music that drove it home. I guess you'd say it is a musical documentary? I couldn't get enough, I kept replaying parts and my laptop was starting to burn my legs, begging me to turn it off (those airline trays are small too). I love Swedish-influenced pop :) as much as the next girl, but sometimes those raw acoustics and sweet melodies hit the spot.

So, check it out. You can download the Oscar-nominated song "Falling Slowly" for free by clicking HERE. Then go buy the whole album, it's awesome. Just wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment